Communications and Marketing Charter
To be the campus’s storyteller, providing information in a way that’s accurate, credible, engaging, and inspirational, and sharing the university’s achievements and traditions to build reputation and relationships.
To clarify and amplify the work of the campus, helping to engage and influence our audiences and foster a base of support.
Within University Relations, Communications & Marketing supports the teaching, research, and public service of UC Santa Cruz by making and keeping deep, heartfelt connections. Building relationships with current and prospective students, alumni, faculty, donors, and others is the lifeblood of our work and helps to make UC Santa Cruz a thriving community of knowledge, inquiry, public service, and social mobility.
- Engage our audiences through stories and events.
- Secure news coverage of the research and achievement at UC Santa Cruz.
- Protect the image and reputation of the university.
- Educate, inform and cultivate support among local community members and government leaders.
- Respond with agility to emerging technologies to help tell our story.
- Empower campus partners to communicate effectively and consistently with their audiences.
- Advocate for consistent branding across campus.
- Harness data to empower strategic decision making.
- Marketing, graphic design, videography, photography, social media: Central marketing and divisional marketing
- Government & Community Relations: local, state, and federal relations
- News and Media Relations: News and feature writing, media relations, internal communications, executive communications, crisis and emergency communications,
- Web Communication: build and maintain campus web design standards and templates; support the campus events calendar and interactive map; support email marketing
- Alumni and Development Communications: writing, editing, publishing a magazine and monthly newsletter, podcasting, creating content to engage alumni and steward donors; development support in the form of donor profiles, case statements, etc., podcast, communications for signature events, e.g. alumni weekend
- Strategic Events: develop programming, reach key audiences, measure impact, foster intra-UR and cross-campus collaboration