Banana Slug/Slug vs. banana slug/slug:
Capitalize Banana Slug or Slug when referring to the UC Santa Cruz mascot, students, and alumni. Use lowercase for references to the gastropod animal.
Enclose any words inserted in a quotation in brackets ([/]). See ellipsis (…) below for words deleted from a quotation.
Some people of color are referred to as brown populations. In this usage, brown is not capitalized.
buildings and locations, names of campus:
Capitalize full names, as in the examples below. Note that “building” is typically used after some of these names for clarity. However “building” is not capitalized because it is not part of the formal title. For the names of additional campus buildings, see the website for the campus unit that administers the facility.
- Barn Theater
- Baskin Engineering building
- Baskin School of Engineering: Use Baskin School of Engineering in the first instance, then Baskin Engineering. On further reference, you may abbreviate as BE; please do not use BSOE.
- Baskin Visual Arts Center
- Bay Tree Bookstore
- Biomedical Sciences building
- Coastal Biology building (note lowercase “building;” CBB can be used as an abbreviation)
- Coastal Science Campus (note that “Science” is singular)
- Cowell Ranch Hay Barn
- Digital Arts Research Center (DARC)
- Earth and Marine Sciences building
- East Field House (also West Field House)
- Engineering 2 building
- Family Student Housing
- Graduate Student Commons
- Hahn Student Services
- Humanities and Social Sciences facility
- Humanities Lecture Hall
- Interdisciplinary Sciences building
- Kerr Hall
- McHenry Library
- Music Center Recital Hall
- Natural Sciences 2 building
- Ocean Health building
- Physical Sciences building
- Quarry Amphitheater
- Quarry Plaza
- Science & Engineering Hill
- Science & Engineering Library
- Seymour Marine Discovery Center
- Sinsheimer Labs (or Sinsheimer Laboratories)
- Social Sciences 1 and Social Sciences 2 buildings
- Student Union
- Theater Arts Center (includes the Mainstage Theater, Second Stage Theater, eXperimental Theater, Media Theater)
- Thimann Labs (or Thimann Laboratories)
- University Center
- University House
- University Town Center (UTC)
Lowercase “library” and “theater” when used alone or in plural form (note the “er” form of “theater”):
- the theater
- the campus libraries
Cite room numbers as follows (note that “Room” is not used, nor is punctuation):
- His office is located at 102 Hahn Student Services.